Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Slutter by Taylor

I like the details about Levi Jamison.  Especially that his smiles make his cheeks so fat that his eyes are shut, and that his th's sound like f's because of his gummy voice.  I like the character of Levi in general. The conversation between Levi and the Vanilla girl was funny and charming.  I liked the commentary on racial variety, that made me laugh.  The scene where he renames Bullshit to "I doubt it" has a quirky humor to it that you might see in an indie romantic comedy.  That in addition with the nirvana t-shirt makes Saywer pretty close to Five-Hundred Days of Summer-hip.  I think that it fits in this story, though.  It isn't like Sawyer is constantly describing her interest in Portland, or Where the Wild Things Are, and Roman is characterized by the kind of guy who would rightfully be mesmerized by Sawyer's hippie style. I thought that the characterization of these three was done really well, and sets up to make them a good trio.
 I also liked the way the scenes cut from one to the next. I thought that they each transitioned well, and fit together extremely tightly.  The asterisks were almost unnecessary because the story flowed so well.

One of the things that kind of took me out of the story was that some of these descriptions are confusing to me.  "She was like a storm that never left,"I just don't really know how to take that.  One more thing that took me out was how rapid of a reader Sawyer was.  I suppose the book that Roman may have had was a short one, but if she's reading half of it while he watches, maybe he should detail how long he sits and stares at her.  Maybe this is a good chance to describe his attraction to her.

No comments:

Post a Comment