Thursday, April 18, 2013

Big Blue Eyes by Morgan

I'm hooked by the concept of an interview with Casey Anthony.  Being so fresh and controversial makes it a great subject for the story.  Morgan does a really good job of getting inside the mind of an irresponsible and immature ex-mother.  I really like the justification that Casey Anthony gives for why she didn't notice that her daughter was missing for thirty days.  She's such a loon.  I like the detail that she reads the book on "autopilot," it just really illustrates the concept of her lack of care for her child and her viewing Caylee as more of a burden than blessing.  "Fighting with my mother over how to raise her or some other trivial thing," I thought that was hilariously ironic.  The ending is seriously fucked up, "it was my way of apologizing for not giving her the ending she wanted."  I almost think this is too real to be made up, it seems a lot like how Casey Anthony might actually view the world.  Maybe it just characterizes her the way I see her in my head, either way, it's an effective portrayal.

I had a bit of trouble determining who was talking at certain points.  Some of the times when Casey is describing the journalist but then gives a quote kind of jar me from the story.  For instance, "She sat there, flabbergasted. “What?” I question." sort of confused me, and took me a couple of times to get ahold of.  And although I liked the ending, I think that Casey admitting to the crime, even off the record, is a little unbelievable.  I don't see someone who just got through the most controversial trial of the decade being so willing to admit to murdering her daughter because of the "off the record" prompt.  

Overall, I thought this story was extremely interesting and quick.  Nicely done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment