Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Rock and Roll 4/20 House Show


The other night I went to a battle of the bands house show that happened to coinside with the smokers “holiblaze” April, 20th.  During the first band’s show, a band who’s name has escaped me, the projector that was used for special effects was showing a movie about Native Americans.  This got me thinking about the idea of having a movie play in the background of a rock and roll show, and what might inspire a band to use film imagery in their show. 
            Listening to their lyrics I decided that it was entirely possible, and more so probable, that the band had written each song to be paired with the storyline of the movie.  This got me thinking about something that Dr. Spell said earlier in the semester—something about taking a single song lyric or painting and writing a story about the image provided.  So I got to thinking about some of my favorite storylines and how they would fit into a series of poems.  I came to the conclusion that because of my lacking abilities to write a complete story, it would be a fantastic idea to take a movie like Django Unchained and separate some of the most powerful scenes and create a series of poems that recreate a similar story of abusive oppression and heroic rebellion.  I got to thinking even more and realized that this is a vice that Tarantino uses himself.  Jackie Brown starts out with an airport scene that is almost identical to the one at the intro of The Graduate.
            At the end of the show the band turned around and looked surprised to see the movie playing and the lead singer said, “Oh, hell yeah, I love that movie.  You guys should all watch that movie.”  And so even though my interpretation of the lyrics juxtaposition with the movie is completely off base and incorrect, I think that it inspired some good ideas for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment