Thursday, February 28, 2013

Love Harder

When I read this story I couldn't stop imagining Jodie Foster as the main character.  Love Harder is about a female detective who undergoes an epiphany in an airport terminal during a delayed flight.  I really appreciated the voice of Amber in this story, I like the use of the child's simple and brutally honest sentences as the catalyst to Nicole's change.  For instance when Amber describes Nicole as looking, "serious and strong and tired and lonely.”  Kylie did a good job of illustrating the inability of an adult to take serious offense to a child's blunt words.  I thought that mixed with the Eric's interjection that children impart wisdom upon adults, this theme was expressed really well.  I thought that the use of the blackberry as a symbol for the busy businessman really got across the inner change in Nicole, and her new found appreciation for slowing down and smelling the roses. 
The only thing that I can think to suggest is that the story could use a little more outside action to spice itself up.  The dialogue is strong, but at times the story is dialogue heavy which might slow it down a bit.  I think it would be easy to do this in a setting like a packed out airport where one could make an olympic event out of people watching.  Other than that I would only suggest maybe losing the line about "tying up a few loose ends" because I believe it to be an overused detective cliche. 
Really intriguing and well done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment