Thursday, February 28, 2013

Caroline Barr "Stranger Danger"

Caroline Barr's "Stranger Danger" tells the story of a girl performing the impossible Tootsie Pop Challenge.
I really liked the way the narrator counts her way through all of the events of the story.  The constant flashing over from her excursion with Lisa to her counting the licks of her Tootsie Pop made for a light-hearted flow.  I also liked the basis of this character that, on the surface,  displays extreme self-confidence but at the end seems to unravel in her own insecurity.  It reminds me of that same confidence that Zoey Deschanel has in 500 Days of Summer, which I always thought was unbelievable and absurd.
Because I always thought that the character of "Summer" was an annoyingly inaccurate depiction, I really want more of the meltdown scene in the card shop.  I thought that a few of the descriptions in the park left me confused about what I was seeing.  For instance, "A few awkward pre-teen girls sat on a quilt forming flower chains to grace their necks and heads like wreathes;" I don't really know what a flower chain looks like, or what it means to grace a neck like a wreath.  I like the image of a bunch of pre-teen girls trying to divert the attention of teenage boys, but I think the description becomes a little distracting there. 
I really enjoyed the action and the thought process in the story, I think this is definitely going in a really strong direction and I can't wait to get ahold of the revision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment