Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"A Good Sort of Kid"


Mikey is a chubby misfit in the boyscouts of America.  He doesn’t understand the crude humor of his fellow scouts and is generally ostracized from the group.  Following a fight with a fellow camper, Richard, Mikey is left out of a plan hatched by the troupe.  The troupe intends to go to a cave of black bears but without the “chubbo.”  Mikey stays behind and manages not to sing to the scoutmaster. 
I really enjoyed the unpleasant nature of the scout's interactions with each other.  It really reminded me of the movie, The Tree of Life.  The inappropriate jokes are relatable to any young boy, and the writing is true to what immature conversation was like.  
I was a little confused by the ending of the story, when he dims the light is that supposed to signify some sort of ominous tension?  I understood that the boys had in some way tested Mikey, but I wanted more at the end.  I thought the part where the scout master wakes up may have been a good opportunity for suspense, maybe he tests mikey's will to keep the scout's secret? 
Overall, really good story, at the end I was wanting to keep reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment