Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cargo

    Cargo is a story of James, a truck driver, and the tension caused by extended hours on the road.  James injures his hand while climbing into his truck, setting off a system of reckless driving.  For instance there is an extended scene where James tries to pry a can of red bull from the opposite pocket of his useful hand.  I thought that this scene was well done because of the realistic nature of the scenario.  I thought that the veering into the other lane and barely missing a mercedes made the entire crisis more substantial, and indicating that the author had thought through possible effects.  I thought the similes in this story were especially nice.  The image of a ping pong ball in an empty fish bowl was creative and appropriate, even if the Aron Ralston comparison seemed a little forced (I couldn't help from laughing).
    The only thing that I would say the story could use is maybe a little more action.  I thought that some of the extended scenes in the truck were a little slow.  I really liked the interactions between James and the other truckers (the mozart argument was hilarious).  I would have enjoyed more of this banter over the CB radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment