Tuesday, February 5, 2013

"He Loves Me" yea yea yea

"He Loves Me" is a story about the psychosis and emotional range of a woman who has become pregnant with the child of a man.  The contrast in emotions between the protagonist, Amy, and the father of the child points out interesting dynamics of gender orientation.  While the girl seems to have become obsessed with the father of her child, it appears as though the man-child has become detached or disinterested in Amy.  
I thought the dark humor in this story was outstanding.  Especially the line "I should really recycle," which comes after the pregnant Amy looks into her trash bin to see a bag full of liquor bottles.  The irony here had me cracking up in my apartment.  I also really enjoyed the perspective of the narrator, particularly the thought process throughout the story.  When she wakes up 5 minutes before the alarm and states how she hates doing that, I related to this feeling and it naturally drew me in.  All of the placement of irony in narrow-sightedness had me laughing in embarrassment.  
I had some trouble deciphering who was talking to whom on the first page, I think that if Meryl described her main character or described Sam it would help me get a better picture of the conversation.   I also thought some description of the Rapist/Love interest would really improve the story for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment