Thursday, March 7, 2013

Love Thy Enemy

Taylor Seibert's Love Thy Enemy tells the story of a girl who gets kidnapped and taken out to the sticks.  I thought that the story had effective language and imagery that carried it.  I remained glued to the document throughout the ten and a half pages of suspense.
I thought that the description of the yawning flames was an especially effective image.  I also thought that her descriptions of her room and the cabin were excellent and gave me a distinct idea of what the narrator was going through.  I really appreciated the description of Christoph's voice, and I thought that the comparison to Morgan Freeman was hilarious.  I don't know if this was intentional or not, but Morgan Freeman voice-jokes seem like a recent trend.
I thought that the suspense in the story could have been played up a little more.  I thought that the scene where Isabel holds the hot fire poker over Christoph's heart could have been strung out longer.  It seemed like right when the suspense was beginning to climb the fire poker is thrown into the fireplace and Isabel is walking out of the door.  Her sudden decision to leave confused me as well, I understand that she feels empowered but what has changed that makes her suddenly think that she can navigate through the woods?
I thought that this story was written really well and the language choices were perfect.  I think the story definitely delivered.

No comments:

Post a Comment