Thursday, March 28, 2013

MIcky by Adam W.

I thought this story flowed organically was loaded with creativity.  I really like the perspective of an animal, and when I realized that the narrator was a bull I was surprised that nobody had branched out and tried to write from an animal's point of view.  I really enjoyed the contrast between father and son, William is created as a calm and steady leader, while Micky is aggressive and rebellious towards his father.  I thougth that this was useful to set up the ending in that it was William's reputation that saved Micky from certain death.  I also thought that Adam did a really nice job of building suspense in the scene with the two black bulls.  The thoughts going through Micky's head about his imminent doom had me burning through the words to get to the ending.  I thought the ending to this story was exceptional.
I thought the story was a little unclear about why Micky couldn't follow the herd.  I wasn't sure if it was because he liked to run around and fight (which is what it seems like Adam was going for) or if he was forced to challenge the other herds.  I just think some clarification to why he felt the need to rebel or  maybe having the argument between Micky and William precede his comments about wishing he could follow the heard would clear this up.  Maybe Adam wanted the reader to wonder why he couldn't follow the herd, but my questioning whether it was his duty to fight the other herds or not seemed to take me out of the story a bit.
This story was really great, mad props.

No comments:

Post a Comment